In-Person and Zoom Training
Silica Competency Training
Must First Complete Silica Awareness Training
This half-day Silica in Construction Competency Training teaches standard operating procedures to be compliant with OSHA 29 CFR 1925.1153. The purpose is to ensure that employers, supervisors and other competent persons follow proper safety protocol for minimizing and addressing workers exposure to harmful crystalline silica dust.
- Identify OSHA’s new Silica Standard in Construction and it’s principal requirements.
- Explain what respirable crystalline silica is and the health hazards associated with it.
- Know specific tasks in the workplace that result in exposure to respirable silica.
- Know the best control measures and respiratory protection for respirable silica.
- Recognize employer responsibilities and employee rights under silica standards.
- Know the purpose of medical surveillance to monitor workers exposure to silica.
- Specified exposure control methods in 29 CFR 1925.1153 Table 1 engineering controls, work practices, and respiratory protection specified for the task on Table 1.
- Proper ventilation, respiration and cleaning protocols for silica-prone areas
- Different types of crystalline silica found in construction environments
- Components of a proper exposure control plan for construction sites
- Best practices for preventing heavy silica exposure in construction
Participants receive a certificate of participation upon successfully completing a written exam and practical evaluation. Attendees must wear appropriate work clothes and PPE.